Saturday, September 8, 2012

Naughty Engela

On Thursday, I took Engela out for a ride. She had been sick for a bit because she caught a respiratory infection and had to be off of work. So, this was pretty much her first time being ridden in about a week. 

I took her down to the dressage arena because it was empty. I had a nice, light workout in mind to ease her back into her normal work schedule. We did some walking and 20-meter circles. Then I moved her into the trot. She was pretty quick, actually, a lot faster than normal. I went with it. At least she was being forward for once! She was getting hard to turn. I just was firm with her but it didn't get better. I guess it was just something we had to work out of throughout the ride.

We were speedily trotting at the far end of the arena, and then she started getting especially quick. I started to circle her left off the rail. We were nicely turning until she decided that she was done with work. Next thing I knew, Engela was bolting at full speed towards the exit. I was pulling hard on the reins, but especially the left rein to turn her away. Already off balance from her bolting, she threw two bucks in a row. I stayed on for the first one, but on the second buck I fell forward in front of the saddle. By this point, I was positive that I was going to face plant but I kept yanking at the left rein and she slowed. I was able to get back in the saddle, and prevent butt-to-ground contact.  

I gave her three huge whacks in the butt and I sent her off trotting again. I was PISSED. I continued to do trot work in both directions without a walk break. I then asked her to canter. Two more bucks. I asked her again. Another buck. I gave her a huge whack and then she went. She was going pretty fast and wasn't turning easy. She would be good cantering away from the exit but then cut corners and speed off when we were heading towards the exit. 

After each mini tantrum, I put her to work. This, off course, completely threw our "light ride" idea in the garbage. After the ride, she was drenched in sweat. Her shoulders, and neck were completely soaked.

After a difficult ride, Engela was still a little butt. She ran into her stall as I was unbridling her, and she stepped on my foot. 

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better ride. If not, I am well prepared and ready with my spanking whip!!

:)
 

7 comments:

  1. Yeah spank that mare's butt! XD just kidding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily, what level horse is Chuck-E?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I rode in the lesson string a couple years back he was used in the intermediate and the advanced lessons. He is probably more schooled now though. So not completley sure :)

      Delete
    2. Oh ok :) I Don't know.. but I rode him for my lesson last week. He was still crazier than the rest of the horses... ahaha he tried loping during warm-up

      Delete
  3. :D I rode Travis this week... do you think he'd be allowed to do the play day? If so, I want to do like barrel racing with him or something. But I lost my entry form.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. doubt that!! Nicoya is TALL. warmblood. elko was a mustang draft thingie

    :( i miss elko... Nicoya's supposed to be like... a hand taller or something.

    ReplyDelete