Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lessons and Prima

Hi Everyone!

I'm Emily and I've loved horses since I was very young. It was my dream to take riding lessons. My dream came true on my 9th Birthday. My first lesson was at Garrod Farms Stables, on a horse named Pablo. 


I took Western lessons for two years once a week. I had a different mount each lesson.  I soon became good enough to start leasing a horse! My instructor gave me a list of potential  leases. They were Shatan, Cody, and Prima. Shatan, the hyper, old Arabian wasn't available, and Cody, the OTTB, was all leased out, but as you will see, my relationship with Cody would not end there. 

Prima, a pretty, young, paint western pleasure mare was left. She was a 10 year old Paint mare who was 15.1hh. My first ride with her was pretty funny actually. I was not used to such a clever horse! She was very testy and tried to pull many tricks on me on our first ride. She had a jog that felt like you were on a cloud, and a floating lope. I loved her affectionate personality and how fast she caught on to things. I had to lease her.



She was a spectacular first lease horse. She taught me so much. She was forgiving and tolerant, bombproof and kind hearted. She took me through my first show, my first bareback rides and my first gallop. We went over some speed bumps along the way, my confidence wavered at times. She would test me every now and again. She taught me how to really take control and to not let fear and doubt take over your common sense. To have a stellar relationship with her, you HAD to prove yourself to be in the lead, and she would respect you.





After a great summer of showing her Western, I became interested in English riding. I then joined the Saratoga Pony Club! I rode her in a couple Pony Club lessons, but I quickly realized that English wasn't her thing, and I would need an English horse to progress. I also really wanted to become a versatile  rider. It was time for a new lease. It was sad to leave her, but I wasn't going to be too far away :)






6 comments:

  1. lol in the first picture you look so tiny!

    Snowmochan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so cute in the first picture :) Shatan was one of my possible lease horses too. Prima's giving a bump too now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving me problems on the ground.... :) She lopes one direction during turn out and refuses to do so in the other direction. Then nibbles me all the way from the round pen to her post :P

      Delete
  3. Oh yea :) well for the turnout thing, when you force her to turn in the direction you want her to go in, let her walk or trot, then a little later you can do some loping. When she chooses to go in her favorite direction and doesn't listen to you, make her do a fast lope or gallop.

    ReplyDelete